but it’s so accurate
but it’s so accurate
So, apparently 1D have gone to “Africa” to do some “charity work”. Which, I guess I should’ve seen coming. But the problematic fan reactions are already pouring in, so:
- Africa is not a country. Africa is a continent. Have One Direction been all over the continent of Africa today? Because wowee, I’m fairly certain that would merit some sort of world record!
- Rich white celebs doing charity work in Africa is not inspiring. It is a part of the incredibly problematic and pervasive white saviour complex.
- Here are some things you need to understand about the white saviour complex:
- So, before you congratulate the boys on being heroes, understand the very real implications of any white person going into an over-exploited country with hopes of “saving the children” or whatever it is this time. At the most basic level, it paints the people of these countries that they’re invading as helpless and monolithic and in need of rescuing by the superior white folk. It shifts the attention away from any actual issues and local initiatives and refocuses it onto these white people instead.
- It’s also extremely self-congratulatory to go there, pretend to help, and come back a “changed person” to resume with your privileged life. So, no. Let’s not celebrate this, fandom. Please, for the love of god, let’s just not.
Wait wait wait, I need 1d fandom to stop posting anything until everyone googles “White Savior Complex”
With “Kiss You,” One Direction releases another single where they play the underdog that will do anything to woo over the girl of their dreams. They acknowledge insecurities, send a positive message and just want to have fun. That’s why people love them. Their music is cheesy and delicious.
We could sit around a pizza talking about its basic properties and how it’s essentially just a bread-cooked tomato sauce with cheese –- or we could just fucking eat the pizza and fucking love it. Not everything has to be that serious. I mean, for Christ’s sake, Niall actually sings “chinny chin chin” in “Kiss You.” We could spend all day talking about the ridiculousness of that -– or we could just smile and dance to their infectious cheesy pop perfection. You know you want to. Just have a slice."
#louis was the kid in preschool who tugged on harry’s hair and pushed him in the sandbox because he had a crush #and harry got pouty and sad but then they kissed in the slide and held hands for the rest of recess
“We were literally.. me and Harry were in a hotel room with a tattoo gun and like we thought to do it on each other”
No but for realsies, really lovely song about a one-night stand and also I like their faces and hamster wheels.